Dealing with somebody’s affairs after they have passed away

Applying for probate gives you the legal right to deal with someone’s property, money and possessions (their estate) when they pass away.

In England and Wales, there are two types of grants which give you this legal right:

  • grant of probate – if the person left a will
  • grant of letters of administration – if the person did not leave a will

Both these documents are often referred to as grants of representation. In both circumstances, the application process is the same.

Using a Solicitor

We can help you apply for probate by:

  • making the process easier
  • making sure you do not get penalties if you submit the wrong information

Applying for probate is time consuming and can be frustrating.

Our specialist legal professionals can guide you through the stages of applying for probate. For example, they can:

  • tell you if you need to apply for probate
  • value the estate
  • submit inheritance tax forms to HMRC
  • apply for a grant of representation for you
  • collect the assets of the estate
  • make sure the estate is distributed accurately

Brewer Wallace are a member of the Law Society’s Wills and Inheritance Quality Scheme (WIQS), which means that we meet the Law Society’s high standards for wills and probate services, and comply with the WIQS Client Charter.

Please see details of our costs, or call us on 01482 221130 or 01964 537856 to obtain a free, no obligation, quote.